Q. Defective or Not
Q. What is the most durable hardwood floor available?
A. Our solid hardwood floors including strand woven bamboo floors are treated with up to 10 coats of an aluminum oxide finish. While this will certainly help the durability of the floor, it is the hardness of the floor that will give the best indication of durability. Refer to the Janka Hardness rating for a true indication of hardness for a selected species:
| Strand Woven Bamboo: 3950 |
| Brazilian Walnut: 3680|
| Brazilian Cherry: 2345|
| Asian Walnut/Acacia: 2300|
| Hickory: 1850|
| Vertical Bamboo: 1600|
| Hard Maple: 1450|
| White Oak: 1360|
| American Red Oak: 1290|
| Yellow Birch: 1260|
| Horizontal Bamboo: 1200|
| American Black Walnut: 1010|
| American Black Cherry: 950|
Q. Can a hardwood floor be floated?
A. Our hardwood flooring is a four-sided tongue-and-groove product that can be nailed directly to a wood subfloor. A hardwood floor cannot be floated. Refer to our solid strand woven bamboo floors at www.SOCOCLtd.com for flooring that may be floated over radiant heating or below grade.
Q. How do I acclimate my wood floor?
A. Let the flooring acclimate for 5 to 10 days, with boxes opened and laid flat in the room where the flooring is to be installed. If you are in an area with high humidity, you may need to install some humidity controls like a humidifier or dehumidifier.
Q. Can I see the product at the warehouse?
Yes. We distribute our products from our warehouses. The best way to see
the flooring is to come to our showrooms.
Q. How does moisture affect my wood flooring?
A. Excessive moisture can lead to numerous changes to your floor, such as cupping, buckling or cracking. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you do not use water to clean your floors.
Q. Can we install hardwood flooring in the basement?
No. It is highly recommended that you do not install hardwood flooring
below grade. However, it is possible to install laminate flooring
or solid strand woven bamboo flooring in these situations. Call SOCOC to discuss some of these options available to you.
Q. What is the best way to clean my floors?
A. The best way to maintain your floor is to sweep, dust mop, steam mop and/or vacuum the floors regularly. Wood floors also clean easily with a Swiffer or similar type dry mop. You should avoid excessive moisture. A slightly damp mop may be used to mop up a spill.
Q. Can I apply a wax finish to my prefinished floors?
A. No. You should never apply wax finish to your surface type finishes.
Q. The floor beneath my rug is lighter than the exposed floor, what can I do?
A. It is normal for wood floors that are exposed to sunlight to darken over a period of time. To eliminate the obvious tone differences, it is best to rotate rugs and furniture so that the flooring gets an equal amount of sun exposure. Any differences in light exposure will eventually fade away.
Q. How can I better protect my floor from early finish wear?
A. It is a good idea to implement a regular cleaning routine, as well at the use of throw rugs and felt or plastic floor protectors on furniture.
Q. When ordering wood flooring how much extra should I order to allow for waste?
A. As a rule of thumb, add 7% to 10% for waste and cuts depending on your skill level and the layout of the area.
Q. What are the different moldings and how are they applied?
A. The Quarter Round is used to hide the expansion gap left around walls during installation. The T-Molding is used as a threshold in doorways or as a transition strip where the hardwood flooring meets floor or carpet of similar height. T-Moldings can also be used to change the direction in which the floor is laid. The Reducer is used as a transition from the height of the sub-floor to the height of the hardwood floor. The Stairnose is used to cover the front edge of a stair step. If used on a stair, flooring is installed behind the Stairnose to cover the horizontal part (the tread) of the stair.
Q. Can I install wood flooring in a bathroom?
A. All wood floorings are not covered by warranty if installed in a bathroom. Moisture can cause damage to wood flooring.
Q. How do I maintain my wood flooring?
A. In order to maximize the durability and beauty of your wood flooring, we recommend the following practices as part of your floor’s normal care and maintenance:
- Place doormats or rugs at entrances to collect moisture, sand, grit and other potentially damaging substances from being tracked onto your wood floor.
- Dust mop or vacuum with a soft accessory to keep your wood floor clean from dust, dirt or grit. Wood flooring cleans easily with a Swiffer or similar type dry mop.
- For sticky spots, use a soft damp cloth to gently scrub the floor. If necessary, use a generic wood floor cleaner. Do not use steel wool or other abrasive scouring pads.
- Do not use harsh detergents, abrasive cleansers, or corrosive chemicals to clean your wood floor.
- Avoid excessive water. Use mats in the kitchen, bathroom and laundry room to protect against spills. If a spill occurs, blot it up immediately with a dry cloth or slightly damp mop.
- Use only colorfast and non-scratch carpeting or pads on your wood floor.
- Protect the floor from furniture legs and do not walk on the floor with high-heeled shoes.
- Although wood flooring has effective UV inhibitors in its pre-finish, it is recommended that it not be exposed to direct sunlight for long periods.
Q. What are the benefits of strand woven bamboo flooring?
A. Strand woven bamboo flooring is one of the newest renewable types of residential flooring. Here are a few reasons why you should choose strand woven bamboo floor:
- Strand woven bamboo has a Janka rating of 3950; therefore, it is one of the hardest floor in the world.
- Strand woven bamboo is a renewable source, and it is environmentally friendly.
- Click & Lock Strand woven bamboo can be installed on top of a subfloor and is the only solid wood floor which can be installed over radiant heat.
- Strand woven bamboo is water friendly, and it is extremely easy to clean.
Q. What are the benefits of hardwood flooring?
A. Hardwood flooring is one of the most popular types of residential flooring. Here are a few reasons why you should choose a hardwood floor:
- Solid hardwood offers a variety of grain patterns, natural color variations, and the beauty of a natural material.
- Hardwood floors are easy to clean.
- Hardwood floors are ideal for allergy sufferers as they do not promote dust or harbor dust mites.
- Hardwood flooring is longest-lasting. Although there is a 25-year structural warranty on our hardwood floors , many hardwood floors last for decades longer.
Q. Will my prefinished floor have a beveled edge?
A. Yes. All of our prefinished wood floors have a micro-bevel edge to eliminate uneven joints between strips of hardwood. This tight micro-beveled edge also prevents the finish from pooling up at the edges of the boards during the finishing process, resulting in a nicer, cleaner finish.